Monday, January 3, 2011

Song of the Week

So I've decided to try something new. During the season I live, eat, sleep, and breathe hockey and I love it. Wouldn't be pursuing a career in it if I didn't. But at the same time there is more in my life than just hockey so I want to write about that a bit. Today's topic is music.

Music is huge to me. I have to have it on no matter what I'm doing during my day. I wake up to music on my alarm clock, have it on at my desk throughout the workday, plug in my iPod while I'm working out, blast the home stereo when I'm cleaning the apartment and on and on. One of my favorite things to do on an off day is scour the web for new music, find something I like, and listen to as much of that band's music as I can. I get such a rush out of discovering new music and then also sharing it with my friends.

Some people have told me my taste in music is a bit odd, but not because I like really strange music. More because I don't like some bands that everyone says I should like. I don't like Led Zepplin. I don't particularly like The Beatles. I really don't like Nirvana. It's not that I think they're bad bands; I know that they're good and I know that their work absolutely influenced a ton of the bands I listen to. It's just that their music doesn't move me in any way and I refuse to listen to music that bores me. If that means I have weird taste in music, then so be it. But I will listen to any genre, like I said, as long as the song makes me feel something (other than bored).

I can't remember where I heard this quote (and I don't know if it's exactly right) but it's one that I've always thought made too much sense: "If you are a love of art, then you love all art. If you are a lover of music, then you love all music." That's the approach I try to take when I'm looking for new music.

So why all this babbling? Will I ever get to my point? Yes I will get to my point and it is this. In this space I am going to post a Song of the Week for the rest of the hockey season. There won't be much rhyme or reason to how I choose the week's song. It could be my favorite tune of the moment, it could be something that I think relates to what's been going on with the Road Warriors, or it could be something completely off the wall. I also want to take suggestions from you all. If you have a song that you think deserves consideration for Song of the Week you can email it to me at grwradioray@gmail.com, and if I like your suggestion enough I'll post it here.

That being said, this week's Song of the Week is "Scalliwag" by Gaelic Storm.



I first heard this song on Pandora (greatest invention ever in my opinion) and bought the album "Bring Yer Wellies" not long ago. I haven't been able to stop listening to the entire album for weeks. I'd be willing to bet the same will happen to you. So enjoy "Scalliwag" and check back next week to see what the new song will be!

2 comments:

  1. Not bad but needs more Ska! Never really liked the Beatles either nothing against them but personally I've always thought of their music was kind of vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite bands! Good song choice. I didn't think anyone else listened to them :) The whole CD is great.

    ReplyDelete